As my cousin, Forrest, reminded me last night, January is a slightly depressing month. And I haven't posted in a while (thank you Karen), so I thought I would relive my experience at: The Talladega Super Speedway. Yes.Through a generous gift from a vendor, a group of us from Student Life got to go to a race in October. Um, wow. When those cars started up to full blast at the beginning of the race, I just teared up - it was so awesome and crazy loud - as scan be seen in the pic, my earplugs around my neck. I know I sound like a redneck, but I do think it is something that everyone should do at least once.
I was warned by my hairstylist, Britney to look as plain as possible, so as to avoid the hoots and hollers from the male fans. We all know it is difficult for me not to be noticed, so I had to try on outfits for Jason the night before. I settled on a t-shirt and shorts combo. As I saw many women in 85 degree weather in bikini tops and mini denim skirts as well as high heels - I felt like I had made the right choice.
I will take this moment to explain that the race is an all-day event. The race itself lasts for about 4 hours (30 minutes at the begining and the 30 minutes at the end are the most exciting parts). We left Birmingham at 7:30 that morning and didn't get home until 9:00 that night. So basically, people have been drinking since they got there (if not before). They've got beers in their pockets and coolers in their hands. So drunk people are everywhere.
Perhaps my most favorite moment came after the race was over. We were letting the traffic die down and were grilling out. Then came 2 ladies and a man, messy drunk, staggering past our group, holding on to one another so they wouldn't fall down, when the middle lady squats down right in front of us, and her friend says (thankfully), "You can't pee right here!" And they picked her right back up. And that's just a snapshot of the whole day.
Would I ever go back? Nope. I am glad I went. I wouldn't go back unless the following criteria can be met:
1) a VIP luxury RV in the middle of the track
2) a private plane to get me to Talladega airport and back to Shelby County
3) a seat in the stands behind Pit Road
I don't think I am asking for too much...
No comments:
Post a Comment